NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

8 inch RC's any one?

Interested in comments on an 8 inch f8 RC, looking to get one.

I had a few years back an Altair Astro (GSO clone) which I sold (why!!!) and I'm now looking at it's replacement. I see FLO do their StellaLyra, RVO do an iOptron Photon and there are others. Just wondering on other good/not so good views on them...

Cheers

I have the Stella Lyra version and I have been really pleased with it. It is a lot of scope for the money. For the current galaxy season it has been my standard imaging scope. Some people have suggested the focuser is not too good but I have not had any problems. The only negative is that the focuser has no screw in camera connection - but this has not been too detrimental in my opinion.

I know the usual concern with RC's is the collimation. Fortunately mine arrived pretty well collimated so I have not had to adjust yet and it seems to hold the collimation well. (I have ordered a collimator so I will have time over the summer to get it 'perfect' for next season). The collimation is out slightly - or there might be some tilt in the image train, but until I start to improve the collimation it is not too clear. Generally I image with a reducer at around F6 as this about right for my camera in terms of pixel resolution. I have used binned at full FL and the quality was good.

Overall I have been happy with it and I feel it was a worthwhile addition. My only question is whether I should have considered an F4 photon bucket instead! But I think the size and weight is probably better for me as I need to set my kit up every time. Definitely a keeper for me.

• Thanks 1