NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lunar Imaging Camera

Gerr

Hi All,

I would like to do some lunar imaging this season and would like some advice on a good camera to do this.

I have done some Lunar imaging with my guide camera (Zwo 120mm mini) and a DSLR (Canon 650D) with some success (see image below - Zwo).

My scopes and equipment are in my signature below.

Any recommendations?

Gerr.

F9686FD1-C188-4357-A02A-DEFD0BBD04A8.jpeg.a72b6358cc62deec3404da9884d619ed.jpeg

Hi,

from the cameras you have the asi120 mini is quite suitable, but due it iff course has a small sensor, and is relatively slow, as it is only USB2.

if i'd have to recommend something for higher res work I'd look at the ASI290 or ASI178. (or their counterpart from QHY) The new AS462 is also very good, and in some ways the successor to the 290, but only available in a color version.

both camera's are relatively small but this will allow for high framerates and still manageable SER files.

ASI also has larger sensor camera's, performance is similar, as is the resolution, but frame rate will be slower, and file size significantly larger. But these cameras might be able to show the full lunar disc in one go, or at least require less panels for mosaics.

Kind regards,

Wouter.

• Thanks 1

Hi Wouter,

Thanks for the reply. I have had a look at the Asi462 and think that may be the one to consider. It comes with a 150deg all sky lens too (Milky Way shots???). 
It is colour version only but should be fine as I would convert to monochrome in Photoshop anyway. Maybe nice for Jupiter if I manage to see it well this year?

Gerr.

2 hours ago, wouterdhoye said:

if i'd have to recommend something for higher res work I'd look at the ASI290 or ASI178.

Very nice image Wouter, I just ordered a 224MC and over here in Canada choice (availability) is really limited atm. What do you think of this camera?

The 224 is also a very good camera and I believe still is for many planetary imagers. I own one too and am very happy with it. I however use it more for planetary imaging than for lunar work. 

below an example of what the 224 can do on the moon, using a big telescope

https://astrob.in/full/396334/0/

and with a tiny one

https://astrob.in/full/xtzc8h/0/

Kind regards,

Wouter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wouterdhoye said:

I own one too and am very happy with it.

Thanks Wouter, I bought the camera to "get my feet wet" in imaging and didnt want to spend too much until I see if I like it. I'll use a 120mm scope to start with and use the VIP barlow that Ive used for visual for many years. Just figured out the lego set configurations of amplification, lots of options.

The planets are also on the list but in reality the processing end might need the most work (education) in all this here.

Great images.