NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SATURN: White Spot & Irregularities.

Paul G. Abel

Greetings everyone! I just thought I'd share my results with you all from my obsevervations of Saturn on 7th Feb. It looks as though there is a white spot in the STZ (visible in the sketch just on the following limb), I've sent the observation on to the Saturn section at the BAA and I'm fairly confident that it is real; there are a couple of spots, one in the STZ and one in STropZ. Note too the interesting irregularities in the SEBs. A most interesting night (although I now have an updated definition of cold!)

Best Wishes,

-Paul.

Saturn070209-1.jpg

Hi,

What did you observe it with? I have just got my 10" dob and have only had one look at Saturn. I had baader hyperion 17 with a tuning ring which gave me a mag of x91. I have a 8mm hyperion coming tomorrow so I'm looking forward to getting a better look x150-200 at it. I supose at these mags it would be hard to track it to do sketches loike yours.

Brillant job.

Brian

Hi Brian,

I have an 8 inch Skywatcher Reflector which is permenantly set up in my observatory. Back in the day I did my sketch with no drive, though I have one today. I regularly use Patrick Morre's 12.5 inch reflector which is on a azimuth mount! Producing a sketch with that scope needs three pairs of hands! With my skywatcher I normally use 222-300x, though on nights of average-better than average seeing (i.e. ANT II-III) I can get 400x out of it.

You know, to produce a sketch like this isn't difficult; you don't need a vast telescope and elaborate equipment. Just a little time and practice (you don't even need to be good at drawing!) I started off with a 4inch reflector, and got some good sketches out of that. I also used a 4.5 inch refractor for many years and made a Mars map with it (using nor more than 188x!) Why not have a go and see? Do let me know how you get on or if you need any help.

Best wishes,

-Paul.

Archived