NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A few firsts and reduced LP

Dark Vader

Started off having to realign my Raci so went to Polaris, wasnt far off. Then tried to align the Rigel - you have to question the logic behind getting a raci instead of a straight finder, then buying what's basically a straight finder that I cant bend far enough to see through. Then as it's a mag 1 (?) finder, I needed to put my glasses on to see anything. Why that didn't occur to me before I bought it I will never know.... 

Anyway, I started properly at Izar - a nice first split at 236x. Using Sky Safari and the inclinometer, I went for a look around Markarians chain and the Eyes, then noticed a bright object which turned out to be M87. 

Over to Chertan then down for a look at the Leo trio. M65 and M66 just visible as a faint glow, still no sign of the 'burger'. 

From there I tried to break my duck on M81 & M82. Checked the altitude on Sky Safari, matched the tube angle then panned around a bit. A long thin grey smudge appeared in the 25mm BST, moved the tube a bit more and Bodes joined the Cigar in the FOV. Brilliant! 

Getting a bit cold now, saw Vega so went for the double double with the Hyperion IV zoom barlowed. Easy split, but so excited at the Bodes / Cigar view, I neglected to note the zoom setting! 

Next logical target - as I'm nearly there let's try for another first, M57 the Ring nebula. Another pan around and a blue round fuzzy doughnut thing swung into view. Could just make out the darker central area despite it only being at 18° altitude. Fantastic! 

Last one of the night - let's try for M13. Another first, with outer stars resolved in the 25mm BST barlowed 2.25x. 

The digital inclinometer is looking to be a great buy. I'm not sure about the Rigel - will give it another go... could just be a matter of finding which contortion works for me 🙂

Also, a great result from my local council who shielded a streetlight within 3 days of my asking via their website ( see post about this in Astro lounge). Impressive, most impressive!!

• Like 6

I like my Rigel finder. I used to find myself sighting along the tube on many occasions before I had it so it's probably not surprising that I like it. I now have the Rigel and the ST80 with a 26mm EP and have found this a good combo. At the moment I'm using a 45 degree prism so the ST80 doesn't flip the image. I don't know how I ever managed with the bundled finder scope back in the day. Probably as good as most bundled finders but a bit of a Chocolate Teapot really.

• Like 1