Autofocusing Help

smr

Hi,

We've had a couple of clear nights lately but last night was the first time I got my rig out after having added the ZWO EAF (my first auto focuser so I'm new to this)

To begin with I couldn't see anything in live view, I had focused the scope in the daytime a couple of weeks ago but I focused on something which was too close) 

So I adjusted the focus in APT by moving the focuser inwards to 0 (to start with it was at about 5000)

I got the stars in the field nice and small, and then slewed over to my target and chose a star in the field with 'Focus Aid' setting image preview 1:1 and selecting a star, and taking an image. 

I then ran the Auto Focus Aid and clicked 'Run'

It went through it's passes, taking images, and then when it had finished this is what the stars look like (the image is 1:1) but to me the stars don't look focused.

eaf.thumb.jpg.1d7a895e0b8409741157a6b66ff4c9f5.jpg

Does anyone have any idea why?

Thanks,

Joel

You can see on the weak stars that you have poor focus. Can you let the software pick a star to focus on? You probably selected a saturated star, which the software can’t use for focusing

Edited by wimvb