NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Problem with order of processing

I took a series of images of a standard star field in order to calculate the transform coefficients for the photometry. This involves calculating the b-v values for the standard stars but I had a problem which turned out to be the order in which I did the processing. I'm using a DSLR with a telescope and MaximDL software for the processing.

Initially I did it like this -

Calibrate each image

Stack all the calibrated images

Split the stacked image into R, G1, G2 and B bayer layers.

Do the aperture measurements for each colour then calculate the b-v values.

The problem I had was that the b-v values were almost exactly the same even for stars which had big differences in the catalogue values of B-V.  I did a further check by measuring the intensity of a star in the stacked image, then measure the intensity of the same star in each of the R, G1, G2, B images. I found if I added up the four individual colour intensities it was equal to the intensity of the same star in the stacked image. Which is what I expected however it also appeared that the individual colour intensities were almost exactly 1/4 the total intensity. This was the case even for stars which had big differences in the catalogue B-V values. It was as if it had taken the intensity in the stacked images and simply divided by four to get the R, G1,G2 and B intensities.

So then I did the processing like this -

Calibrate each image

Split each image into R, G1, G2 and B components

Stack all the R images, stack all the G1 images, stack all the G2 images, stack all the B images.

Do the photometry.

This time the b-v values came out exactly as I expected. When I plotted the measure b-v values against the catalogue B-V values I got a nice straight line with the right kind of slope.

So I know how to do it now but I'm curious to know why the first method was wrong if anyone has any ideas.

Cheers

Steve

If you stack your data prior to debayering it will effectively destroy color information and turn your recording into (low quality) mono / luminance information.

This happens because stacking does alignment and different color pixels end up in same place - so you stack red against green against blue - and you effectively average them out - which creates gray color.

When you debayer after that you'll just get gray image where B-V information is constant.