NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

MARCH 25TH - ARISTARHCUS, MARIUS VOLCANIC CONES AND SUNRISE OVER BAILLY

paulastro

Had a session from approx 6.15 to 7.O5 pm.  Using  Tecnosky 102ED F7.  Aritstarchus was the eye catcher, but to the S of it near the terminator was Marius,  and adjacent to the NW of Marous was the Marius Hills.  In my scope there were numerous little humps - rather like mole hills in a field under low illumination!

Not mole hills, but actually an area of volcanic cones cut by sinuous rilles, though I couldn't see the latter in the 102mm. It is the largest concentration of volcanic cones on the Moon.

To the E along the terminator from well placed Schickard, are the three craters Zucchius,  Bettinus and Kircher and immediately to the S of them the sun was rising over the outer walls of Bailly the largest crater on the Moon's near side.

Below is a single frame and two crops of the main areas of interest.

822464272_P3252247Moon.thumb.jpg.03ab64d0982508c2e37bf492b24dc513.jpg

716515147_P3252247AristarchusMariusSteinerKeplerC.jpg.01d1cf9b0d046af266f6be7b2f01f169.jpg

1404453706_P3252247SchickardtoBailly.jpg.a54a72b9de754c03cb2dec1cf2ceb8d8.jpg

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 4

• paulastro changed the title to MARCH 25TH - ARISTARHCUS, MARIUS VOLCANIC CONES AND SUNRISE OVER BAILLY

Nice report! I was looking at the same areas yesterday and Marius hills were indeed showing very well.

I had a quick look just now while it was still clear. Bailly is fully illuminated now, and it is quite big indeed. On the north limb the peak of Pythagoras was catching the sun. I could not use magnification beyond 100x, it was too windy, but still worth it.

I feel lucky, managed to have a look at the growing Moon every evening so far this week :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nik271 said:

Nice report! I was looking at the same areas yesterday and Marius hills were indeed showing very well.

I had a quick look just now while it was still clear. Bailly is fully illuminated now, and it is quite big indeed. On the north limb the peak of Pythagoras was catching the sun. I could not use magnification beyond 100x, it was too windy, but still worth it.

I feel lucky, managed to have a look at the growing Moon every evening so far this week :)

Thank you Nik, glad you had a view tonight too, I was out myself, and as you say Bailly was fully visible. I've managed some observations myself six times out of the last seven nights, unusual around here 🙂.

• Like 1