NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Degreasing focuser?

Hi Folks

I have a new skywatcher startravel 80 frac and an fed up with getting that horrid stick grease from the focusser on my hands. It's near worse then juggling treacle. How to remove it, and what lube to us instead? Is there anything to look out for - i don't want to ruin my scope.

With thanks

Oat

1. Try removing the four screws holding the rack against the pinion.  That should allow you to remove the pinion and then slide the focuser tube out.
  2. You may want to remove the focuser from the tube for the next step as well via the three screws attaching it.
  3. Clean out all the gunk out with carburetor degreaser spray or similar on both the focuser body and focuser tube.
  4. Relube it with white lithium grease.
  5. Reassemble everything in reverse order and adjust the four pinion screws to achieve the focuser tension you like.
  6. You may also need to verify that your focuser is aligned with the optical axis.  A laser collimator in the focuser tube is pretty effective for this.  You just need to ensure the laser beam exits the dead center of the objective.  There are other methods, obviously, but I'm not familiar with them.  You just loosen the three screws slightly and gently adjust the focuser's aim.  Tighten them when you're satisfied you're realigned.

spacer.png