NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 2237 Rosette Nebula attempt

90 mina of subs, then back on mac I realise I'd reset the camera to only take jpgs...arg.

So - I only had 90 jpgs to stack which has not helped. frankly I'm surprised I got anything.

Canon 1200d modified, 300mm F4 L stopped down to F5.6, 60 sec subs at iso 1600.

needless to say, 'check camera set to RAW' has been added to the checklist!

rosette-RGB-session_1-St.thumb.jpg.3df693d285c9c0eb1a9e68a4bfe92503.jpg

• Like 5

Thats not bad. I am waiting for a Canon 100D modification to H-alpha mod from JTW Astronomy. Do you use the red channel for H-alpha data exclusively.

I think with only .jpgs, you will need to retake the exposures. Did you use a hydrogen-alpha filter to get more H-alpha data for the red nebula?

Maybe you can use that data (e.g. with longer exposures) and combine that with the basic star background which needs much lower exposures to avoid saturation of the stars. Getting good colour balance would be important.

I think a telescope may be better. Did you take flats. The problem with a camera is that its harder to take flat frames.

taken with a clip on SVBONY UHC filter. yup darks, flats, darkflats, bias.

don't find it tricky to take flats with camera - easier really - just put my light box on ground - point camera at it, and shoot. with telescope I have to hold it in front of lens.

I'd have been there till the cows come in trying to capture this with my skymax 102 as it's nearly F13 compared to the canon 300mm lens F4 (well stopped down to F5.6). So yes, it would be magnified more, but I'd be looking at have to get about 4 times as much exposure time to get same results.

Granted if I had a nice refractor around 4-600mm with at F6 or so, and a field flattener then I'd use it, but well..I don't. 🤔

So last night unexpectedly a clear sky - so rushed outside for another attempt - this time double checking I had RAW enabled.

I also changed some things - 1.4x canon extender, so 420mm now, F5.6. 80 sec subs at ISO 800. Around 75 of them, darks, flats, darkflats and bias.

25_03.Rosette-RGB-session_1-St.thumb.jpg.568171cba64dbec8717f71bf8b9c61eb.jpg

Edited by powerlord