The Benefit of Luminance

Rodd

A much discussed topic.  Thought I'd show an example.  This is NGC 2403 in Camelopardalis.  The first image is an HaRGB image with about 2 hours each of Ha R, G, and B using an FSQ 106 (native) and ASI 1600.  The second image includes about 2 hours of luminance.  I wanted at least 4 hours of luminance but the clouds rolled in unexpectedly.  It seems I never get a full clear night any more--even when it is supposed to be clear.  As I am looking at a week of snow and rain, followed by 2 weeks of Moon--I must make do with what I have.  I was fortunate to have better conditions for the luminance than I did for the RGB--until the clouds rolled in.  The FWHM values for lum subs were consistently a full arcsec/pixel lower than the RGB subs.  I think my processing for the HaLRGB could have been better, but I think that would make the gap between the images even wider.  What I see is a much fuller representation of the galaxy--especially the outer extensions, and sharper details overall.  I tried to keep the palette the same - but palette is probably the single most slippery fish in the pond for me.   I just wish I had used the TOA 130 for this.  For what its worth:

HaRGB

B.thumb.jpg.74cc427405555f9a51152b3635e075db.jpg

HaLRGB

A.thumb.jpg.0368d4749e7839df9b4ed0cd8d4d435f.jpg

• Like 2

SGL no longer allows edits (at least not on my computer) so I have no choice but to post a revision--the HaLRGB image was to saturated.

Blendd12b.thumb.jpg.78e2c6ad79c25fd03685ab111dbc048c.jpg

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Rodd said:

SGL no longer allows edits (at least not on my computer)

It's a bit "hidden", but still available:

image.png.b706d013eb79bda5446870202c186ab2.png

(click on ... icon in top right corner and menu pops up with edit option)

32 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

It's a bit "hidden", but still available:

image.png.b706d013eb79bda5446870202c186ab2.png

(click on ... icon in top right corner and menu pops up with edit option)

Ahh--I found it.  Hidden is right.  thank you.