March 6, 2021: Flaming Star Nebula and surrounding; my first HaRGB image

Last night, with @MartinB's advice on going for Ha-RGB rather than SHO or the like on the Flaming Star Nebula in mind, I grabbed 2 h 40 minutes worth of RGB subs using the ASI183MC rather than the ASI183MM-Pro behind the Sigma 50-100 mm F/1.8 zoom. I would have liked more, but clouds cut the session short. The result after stacking wasn't too impressive:

Flaming-Star-9600.0s-RGB.thumb.jpg.b6896c546df6ee57c7fce293669343f8.jpg

There is just a little nebulosity visible, and the stars tend to bloat a bit. Nonetheless, some of the blue reflection components are visible, so I decided to combine this with this image:

FlamingStar-7320.0s-Hydrogen-alpha_st.thumb.jpg.f43c7822b95b912e17238c1c4d4c2fe7.jpg

Which is 2 hours (and 2 minutes) of H-alpha data obtained on February 27 and March 2 with the ASI183MM-Pro. After combining them in Gimp, denoising them in Affinity Photo and another stretch and crop in Gimp, I am quite pleased with the first result

Flaming-Star-HaRGBdenoise-sat.thumb.jpg.a01813de90efac416d0c1e7d681aacc1.jpg

There are still some colour gradients I want to tackle, and I would like to see whether mixing in O-III and S-II data might help, but I am rather chuffed with this first result. More data to get rid of noise is of course also need.

• Like 5

Just did some experiments by blending O-III into G and B bands and S-II and H-alpha into the R band of the RGB image in APP, then using hue and saturation components of the resulting image together with the H-alpha image as luminance channel to create a Ha-SII-OIII-RGB composite image. I still need to experiment more, but i quite like the result

Flaming-Star-HaSIIOIIIRGBdenoisesat2.thumb.jpg.e2effed3c8b8d5187fc8ba5cd0117415.jpg

May have pushed saturation too far. I am thinking of constraining the saturation channel by the luminance channel, so the saturation is only pushed in bright areas, not in the background.