Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron 6SE

Hi guys, I am new to astronomy and just bought a Celestron 6SE , but I am struggling to get the RDF align with my tube, I have done all the ways it says. In day light line your tube with a distant object but the RDF is a mile away adjustment will not let me line up, I tried what someone else said by putting shims under the back of RDF, but still not able to align , any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. J D. 

The RDF is definitely a weak link on the 6SE in my opinion. My one initially lined up fairly well by adjusting the two wheels. It then went out if alignment  and similarly, just would not line up with shims.I also tried moving the rdf mount (maybe something you can try?). It was something I was going to do at some point but I ended up buying a finder shoe and using a spare finder scope I had. I'm not a fan of red dot finders in general. 

I really enjoy my 6SE - terrific scope, great goto - I'm seeing things I wouldn't have a hope finding under my light-polluted skies.

Edited by Peter_D

Hi Brown Dwarf,

Thanks for your quick response, but I cannot believe that’s I was just going to set it up for taking images to post on here, and hey presto it aligned. I have been trying on and off for the last two weeks. And using the same focal as in the past and hey alignment here it is. So again thank you. 

14 minutes ago, Peter_D said:

The RDF is definitely a weak link on the 6SE in my opinion. My one initially lined up fairly well by adjusting the two wheels. It then went out if alignment  and similarly, just would not line up with shims.I also tried moving the rdf mount (maybe something you can try?). It was something I was going to do at some point but I ended up buying a finder shoe and using a spare finder scope I had. I'm not a fan of red dot finders in general. 

I really enjoy my 6SE - terrific scope, great goto - I'm seeing things I wouldn't have a hope finding under my light-polluted skies.

Hi Peter, as I just said to Brown Dwarf I have been trying on and off for two weeks and just went to align as I have done before and hey I got a focal point together. Thanks for your response. J D. 

• Like 1