Second attempt at the Flaming Star and surroundings

Yesterday was very clear indeed, and I made the most of it by grabbing a lot of narrowband data, primarily S-II, which had been cut short by clouds to just 18 minutes previously. I grabbed 2 hours 12 minutes of S-II, and another hour of H-alpha and O-III each, bringing up the totals to 2.5 hours, 2 hours and 2 hours for the three bands respectively. Although the S-II band now does show some nebulosity, it is still completely overwhelmed by H-alpha, so SHO doesn't work that well

Flaming-Star-SHO-image-St.thumb.jpg.b1890fca4cc73832c7b2cd0252e921a8.jpg

Trying to stretch S-II introduces way too much noise, so I will have to get more S-II data (Thursday, maybe)

HOO is the next to try:

Flaming-Star-HOO-image-St.thumb.jpg.3140834b4182065689ef48870637daf0.jpg

This works quite well, and is clearly better than my first attempt (with half the data)

Finally, I had a go at HOS, and I must say, I find it quite appealing:

Flaming-Stars-HOS-image-St.thumb.jpg.84356984b0e88a57e2fee722f88818be.jpg

With any luck, I can get lots more S-II data on Thursday and Friday (aiming for an additional 4 hours), and I will also try to get an additional hour of O-III and H-alpha, it time allows

• Like 4

That's a great demo of the way NB does and doesn't work Michael.  HaRGB is much better for the flame, and will pull out the blue reflection but the "tadpoles" works pretty well with the hubble palate even though, as usual, the SII is very weak.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MartinB said:

That's a great demo of the way NB does and doesn't work Michael.  HaRGB is much better for the flame, and will pull out the blue reflection but the "tadpoles" works pretty well with the hubble palate even though, as usual, the SII is very weak.

Will try to get RGB later, perhaps with the ASI183MC