NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

February 11, 2021: Short morning H-alpha break

michael.h.f.wilkinson

It is quite sunny here at the moment, so I had a short morning tea break (never drink coffee), and got the Coronado SolarMax-II 60 mm out for a quick look. Off band nothing could be seen in terms of sunspots, but on-band a large prom could be seen easily at the 2 o'clock position (roughly north-east, given I use a BF-15 diagonal). A smaller prom could be seen at the 4 o'clock position. The disc did not show a huge amount of activity, but south and just east of centre, a filament could be spotted, and the area between it and the limb seemed alive with smaller filaments and curling patches of plage. The south-eastern quadrant of the sun seems restless, as if a sunspot could appear there any minute. I am also curious to see whether any ARs emerge around the limb where the two proms are visible. The forecast is for sunny weather, so I should be able to follow this up.

• Like 3