NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New to astrophotography!

Hey guys,

I have recently got myself a basic 70mm/700mm scope, and was thinking about doing some basic lunar and planetary photography.

I have a Nikon D40, so I know that I will need a Nikon fit T-ring. I am stuck as to what other piece of kit to get as a basic starter. I have seen something online, but wondered if anyone could give me some help as to whether I have the right idea in mind.

I see this (http://www.telescopeplanet.co.uk/ViewProdDetails.asp?name=Opticstar%20Eyepiece%20Projection%20Kit&prod_code=PON08F000064) which I understand to screw onto the T-ring connected to my camera, and which holds an eyepiece in place.

I also see this (http://www.telescopeplanet.co.uk/ViewProdDetails.asp?name=Universal%20Camera%20Adapter%201.25%20-%2035mm%20or%20DSLR&prod_code=PON08H000050 - and other variations on something like this such as adjustable ones), which seem to hold the eye piece in place too, so what exactly is the difference?

Would be grateful if I have the wrong kit idea, if anyone could suggest anything else and show me links.

Thanks a lot in advance, and sorry if it's a stupid qu.

H

The first one would work I think. As far as I can work out, it has an extension which allows you to put an eyepiece inside the long barrel. You don't need to use this - just the bottom section. To be sure of what you're getting, I would rather go for a straight 1.25"-T adaptor like this. The Nikon T-ring goes into the DSLR in place of a lens, the T-1.25" screws onto that, and the whole thing slides into the focuser in place of an eyepiece.

The second one is also used with an eyepiece (eyepiece projection), which is unneccessary.

HTH

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply, and thanks for the link. I was just wondering what is the actual main difference between having the extension tube with the "eyepiece projection", and just plugging the camera straight into the scope in terms of taking photos.

Sorry for being such a novice.

Howard

Hi Howard,

Please don't apologise - we all have to start somewhere :(. I remember asking exactly this question when I started, and it feels good to pass on what I learnt. It took me ages! :)

The extension tube only really acts as a means of holding the eyepiece, camera and scope all in line. With EP projection you need to use the camera's lens as well, so there's a lot of extra glass introduced into the optical train (cutting down on light throughput to an extent) and more to go wrong. EP projection allows you to get different image scales (magnifications, if you like) by using different eyepieces.

Plugging the camera straight in (prime focus) means less glass, so more light, and a more secure attachment of the camera. You can also change the image scale by using barlows or focal reducers.

HTH

Andrew

Archived