Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wedge with Astro Fi 127mm

Hey all,

Thanks for help so far I am getting set up and just waiting for a clear sky around Essex. 

My other half got me the Astro Fi 127mm fir Christmas. A good scope but possibly not the one I would have selected as I am into photography and would look at trying this out. So looking further into this I understand I have a Altazimuth mount and for long expose require an equatorial mount. 

I have Starsense and wondered if a wedge would work with this setup and if so is there one in particular I should be looking for. 

thanks again 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Oliver...   I also got an Astro Fi scope recently (the 5" SCT), nice kit/prices for a beginner and should be great for the moon and planetary short exposure and video but I also want to look at some longer exposure astro photography and as it's an Alt-Az mount it won't cope with the field rotation.

I am also considering a wedge as an alternative to a whole new mount as I like the GoTo capability but the GEM mounts for that are £800-900+.    Celestron do a couple of wedges but it's not clear if these would be compatible with the Astro Fi mount.   I've asked tech support the question so I'll respond on here if I get an answer.

If it won't take a wedge then one option may be the Advanced VX mount and tripod (https://www.firstlightoptics.com/advanced-vx-goto/celestron-advanced-vx-mount.html) instead of the basic one but this comes with a hand controller rather than the Wifi so it woulnd't be controlled with the iPad etc without adding a wifi module (another £139).   At least the scope itself can be fitted and used even if the tripod becomes defunct and useless.

As expected Celestron responded with:

"Good afternoon Chris,  Unfortunately, there is no wedge option for the Astro Fi telescope series.    Celestron Technical Support"

So getting a proper EQ mount may be the only option.  

Subject to getting stock back in anywhere (due to Covid I believe) and what weight your setup is there are some good GoTo GEM options.  e.g. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/computerised-goto-astronomy-mounts/skywatcher-eq3-pro-synscan-goto.html