NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Venus and the Moon.

Fryson

For the first time in my life, I was able to view a planet through a telescope instead of binoculars, haha. It was quite amazing. I mean, I think it was only like 16 inch telescope(I think it was a Meade), but it was the best I have ever seen Venus. I also got to see the Moon in a 10x telescope, that was quite a site as well. The only unfortunate thing is I probably won't get to see anything like it again. :( I'm currently a freshman at school in the US, so I don't get too many chances to go out and observe, plus I don't have my own telescope.

The event was a public viewing hosted by my university's Astronomy and Physics department, and they only have like one of these events a month or so.

But it was still really an amazing site. I was so excited afterward, I had to call my Mom and tell her, haha.

:( Hi Fryson, welcome to SGL (from another stateside member) and thanks for sharing your evening with us.. sounds like you had some pretty fantastic views!!

Are there any local Amateur astronomy groups which conduct similar outreach programs? Maybe the heads of your university's Astronomy and Physics departments would know. You could even join a group. Don't worry about not having a scope, either... plenty of Amateurs use binoculars. :)

Archived