January 24, 2021: 104 Mpixel Lunar Mosaic

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Managed to capture enough data for a 10-pane 104 Mpixel mosaic using my Celestron C8 and ASI183MC camera. Seeing was a bit up and down, but I syill got a decent result. Each pane was a stack of 200 out 1000 frames, stacked with AS!3, stitched with MS-ICE, luminance channel sharpened in ImPPG, and recombined with colour in GIMP

Moon_205817_lapl4_ap2981_stitchLR-c.thumb.jpg.246f0261808887c23630d0133b3800ce.jpg

Clicking on image to view full resolution highly recommended

• Like 5

Great work again, Michael. I love your solar H-alpha work. Are you still doing that now, maybe the sun is too low in the sky or not visible from your observatory now.

For lunar shots, i prefer high resolution images of the craters in shadow at the terminator. For lunar mosaics, i find I have to zoom out to see the moon and then the value of the mosaic is lost. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Altair8389 said:

Great work again, Michael. I love your solar H-alpha work. Are you still doing that now, maybe the sun is too low in the sky or not visible from your observatory now.

For lunar shots, i prefer high resolution images of the craters in shadow at the terminator. For lunar mosaics, i find I have to zoom out to see the moon and then the value of the mosaic is lost. 

Haven't done much H-alpha imaging, as the sun is indeed to low to pick up from my back garden. Besides, the weather has been horrible. I do occasionally observe in H-alpha from work, where I sore my Coronado scope.

Regarding lunar mosaics: I like to stroll around the hi-res version, or zooming out to see the whole moon. I might have one of these printed on a HUGE poster and hang on the wall