Scope for an AZ4

Hello folks. I am returning after a few years off and about to buy a scope. I have an AZ4 and a Baader Zoom, a mark III number. I used to have a SW 150PDS on the mount but found defraction spikes too much of a distraction. I previously, many years ago had an old TAL 100RS on one, but they are long heavy agricultural bits of kit and not really suited to an AZ$, not even the steel legged ones like mine. I had seen a TS 100 mm Fl11 ED scope on their site, but again I am conserned about the weight and the length of the scope. I had considerd something like an C6, but then you have to fit them on sideways and thay would upset how it looks, I know we look through scopes and not at them, but we do look at them a bit, quite a lot I expect judging by the amount of photos on here! Open to suggestions of a suitable scope that isn't a Newton with a reseasonale FL, solar system objects and doubles being my main interests. 

Having owned a couple of AZ-4's I think you are right to be cautious over the length of the scope you put on it. I found the F/9 refractors (ED120 and Tak 100) just a little bit too much for my AZ-4's but my Vixen 102 F/6.5 is very happy on one even at high magnifications.

A 102mm F/7 would probably be a good refractor choice (ED doublet). Something like this (when back in stock):

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/altair-starwave-102-doublet-refractor.html#SID=1706

Altair do a 102mm F/11 in as well but I do think that tube length would be too much for the AZ-4

Here is my Vixen ED102 F/6.5 on the AZ-4 - a nice combination:

vixsolaraz401.JPG.b4c0740b6440a9abf72ed7171e79f937.JPG

Edited by John

1 hour ago, Carl Au said:

Thanks, that does look good. Any one with any experience with an ED 100 and an AZ4?

Not an ED100 but I have tried my Takahashi FC100-DL on the AZ-4 (it is a similar length and weight to the ED100) and Personally I thought the mount vibrated just a bit too much at high magnifications for my liking.

That might be a personal preference though. Other might find the combination is OK.