Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nikon D5100 settings for night woods photography.

Hi guys,i'm new on here and i need an advice on which settings should i use for....

I'm planning to go for a quick camping with my friends,in the "woods",but it's not actually complete woods,covered with trees etc...There are still a few houses nearby.

So i'd like to take a night photo of us,of course with (almost) complete dark,a bit of light polution from the houses nearby,but not sure which settings should i use for that type.

I have (as mentioned in title) Nikon D5100,with 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens.Would max apperture (3.5),and let's say shutter speed of 1/15,1/30 do the job?

Could you guys give me an advice,and should i use the flash?

Edit:And yes,i'll be using a tripod,i forgot to mention that.

Edited by Dany6

I would suggest a tripod if you want to use such low shutter speeds at night, I also wouldn't use flash as it won't have any affect on lighting the sky. 

I would probably just experiment a bit on the night with the camera in manual mode most likely have to push the ISO a bit to get anything useful.

I would imagine others can give you better astro advice for small cameras but I've done it before and it works if you are happy to play about in lightroom, my own best effort is this from a few years back which is fairly terrible though I do like the wierd colours. I'll be trying some more when the skies finally clear just for fun!

15589747888_129bba344a_c.jpg

Edited by wibblefish