Is this even possible?

Hi,

I’ve been interested in astronomy for years and finally thinking about buying a decent telescope. After a fair amount of reading I’m not sure which if any is the option my situation and would appreciate any advice. considerations:
- Live in suburbs with light pollution. will mainly use in my yard but would also like to take to darker areas  

- would like to view planets and DSO if possible so thinking 6”-8” reflector?

- would like my 9 year old to be able to view once I find objects  

- my budget is ideally <$1000 USD 
- I’m a scientist but no previous star gazing experience (except by eye)

- because time is limited (as well as 9 year old patience) I think GoTo is better for me  

The Celestron 6/8 Nestars seem popular but I’m not sure if these work for my situation- especially thinking about having my daughter view.

Thanks so much for your help.

Alan

Considering the requirements you've outlined I don't see any reason why the 6/8" 8Se wouldn't be a great choice. A 6/8" would have sufficient aperture to view a vast majority of objects including DSO's and it is a computerized scope in a fairly small and, portable package. With regards to your light pollution situation, this works against viewing DSO's which beg for dark skies but, I can almost guarantee you will be motivated to head out away from the city on occasion with family to enjoy those darker sky views.  One more advantage with the Se type scopes is viewing position, SCT's mounted on single/fork arm mounts have the most comfy viewing positions which will make it easier for your 9 year old, maybe you'll need a little stepping stool or not. Personally I think you need not look any further than a 6/8" Se (8 is better of course) I'm sure others will weigh in, best of luck!.

Edited by Sunshine