NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 2174 HOO

mackiedlm

This is the reprocess of the data I posted earlier as a normal colour processing.
This time I have extracted the Ha and Oiii in APP then processed the mono before recombining then adding the Ha as a luminance layer.
C&C welcome as always (comments on which of the two you prefer would be interesting)
SW 80ED, Hypercam 269c, NEQ6, L-eNhance
100 X180s

stacked in APP processed in PI,

NGC2174_HOO_R2.thumb.png.a8b5d6d9c94f33fe447a230de5445173.png

• Like 7

I typically prefer this palette, but enjoyed both images 👍

From some Ha and OIII combination I was doing recently (albeit mono) the above looks more H(HO)O with a blend of both into Green - was that the case or was the hue just shifted on the whole image?  I mention it because you could get some more blue into a straight PixelMath HOO (like the first image) by boosting the OIII before combining - especially if you're using the Ha as Luminance.  I have also added a bit of Convolution to the combined HOO before adding the Ha Luminance - this seems to create a cleaner colour layer before adding the detail.  YMMV of course.

Interesting camera though, I don't think I've seen that chip used on many variants. 

On 27/12/2020 at 14:49, geeklee said:

I typically prefer this palette, but enjoyed both images 👍

From some Ha and OIII combination I was doing recently (albeit mono) the above looks more H(HO)O with a blend of both into Green - was that the case or was the hue just shifted on the whole image?  I mention it because you could get some more blue into a straight PixelMath HOO (like the first image) by boosting the OIII before combining - especially if you're using the Ha as Luminance.  I have also added a bit of Convolution to the combined HOO before adding the Ha Luminance - this seems to create a cleaner colour layer before adding the detail.  YMMV of course.

Interesting camera though, I don't think I've seen that chip used on many variants. 

Wow- a VERY good catch Lee! The green is 65%Oiii and 35%Ha' - I was mucking around with various mixes and found this one was quite pleasing. But I was neither experienced nor smart enough to know that that made it an H(HO)O😆.

I do boost the Oiii before combining but for this one the HOO was just not really very appealing. I do also give it a bit of convolution before putting the lum on top.

Yes, I dont think the sensor is in any other of the usual cameras - but it was ticking all the boxes for me in terms of sensor  size pixel size ( so image scale with my current kit) etc and I have spoken to a few folks who speak very highly of it. Time will tell but for a first light I pretty happy with it based on the above.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions - much appreciated.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mackiedlm said:

Yes, I dont think the sensor is in any other of the usual cameras - but it was ticking all the boxes for me in terms of sensor  size pixel size ( so image scale with my current kit) etc and I have spoken to a few folks who speak very highly of it. Time will tell but for a first light I pretty happy with it based on the above.

Looking forward to seeing more of this camera 👍

• Like 1