Ioptron Skyguider Pro question....

Hi all.

Not sure if I’m missing something obvious here......

I’ve set the declination bracket with the camera mounted on the shortest end, with the counterweight on the longest, as per Peter Zelinka’s setup video.  Even though Ioptron actually now show this configuration as the preferred option in the illustrations in their manual, it means the polar scope is now 180 degrees out (upside down). Question is, how do I get the polar scope oriented properly? I know I can simply loosen the clutch and spin the whole assembly upside down, but I’d rather my camera was at the top when checking polar alignment. I’ve noticed that there is a grub-screw on the red collar. Do I just loosen that and then rotate 180 degrees, or am I going to find a shaft with a flat on one side only? I don’t want to mess with things unless I really have to, as I’m a disaster waiting to happen 🥴

Hope some of the above makes sense.

@Moonshed Managed to take a few snaps. Ignore the world’s shabbiest curtains, as I’m in my work’s digs.  

Ignoring the round mounting plate that I have swapped over, this is how the DEC bracket was originally intended to be used by Ioptron, with the long end at the top.  Which was clearly an oversight, as it means that your equipment has a higher centre of gravity than is necessary, whilst the weight on the other end has less effect being on the shorter end of the bracket.A8784F94-242F-44AF-A322-A84BE8574373.thumb.jpeg.8756ff0d52294cd0091e422337abca2b.jpeg

This is how I would like it to be, as per Peter Zelinka’s setup video. It is also how Ioptron show the mount in their manual now, so they clearly acknowledge the oversight. The problem is, that by rotating the DEC bracket by 180 degrees, the polar mount has also rotated, and is now upside down.

82E6650B-C07E-4A00-9256-AAA4ACD427D7.thumb.jpeg.952dfe3989090160039bc0e7a9fa3e51.jpeg

And in these pics, you can see how the DEC bracket attaches, and that it only possible to attach it in one orientation. Meaning that the whole assembly, including polar scope, has no choice but to rotate with the bracket.93412ED8-7CEB-4905-B55E-D683D654B396.thumb.jpeg.d95d8eb2ff7c5f7a927825aad85d6b53.jpeg98EED079-81FB-4795-9F37-6073B37DD204.thumb.jpeg.30492257f48d882b732396a5a97043ee.jpeg

Hope this makes some sense. To be honest, the polar scope is still usable, just that it’s now upside down. And the OCD inside of me likes things to be how they are supposed to be. Especially after stumping up a reasonably hefty sum of cash.  Of course, the other problem that might become an issue, is that the polar scope light only comes on when it is correctly orientated, ie number six at the bottom. And I guess in the new configuration, that may or may not work depending what the internal mechanism is for the light is.

Edited by Ande
Typo

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ande,

I have recently purchased one of these and it is actually the same way around as yours. Friends of mine have the opposite orientation (zelinka way). perhaps earlier model is different?. 

I took the 2 grub screws out. locked the RA clutch and unscrewed the Red collet. Since its just a thread and a groove for the grub screws to sit into I wouldn't recommend changing it. Reason being is the red collet screws up nice and tight and the grub screws prevent it from loosening. If you unscrew the red collet to give your 180 degrees it naturally loosens the red collet leaving you just 2 grub screws to hold everything tight. (you could potentially make a shim so it tightens up nice at a 180 degrees from original position)

I am going to continue using mine as intended. (long section at the top with camera mounted to it) Another reason for this is it gives more clearance around the top of the mount when I connect a long dovetail bar. (see photo)

Best regards

20210113_130501.jpg

Edited by whooshbang
I initially made a mistake on my version of the mount.