NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

2 clear nights in 3 days? Impossible!

BS269

After my first report from Monday night I thought I might be waiting a while for the next. But here it is!

This time I went for my 12” dob and APM XWA 20mm. Such a different experience! Went to M42 first.. the wider field of view was lovely, allowing me to take in NGC 1975 (running man nebula?) easier. I’d say I got more detail in the core the other night with my TAL, but only because the higher mags gave me far more contrast. The dob allowed me to see more of it spreading away.

Next up, Pleiades. I got lost in admiration, having 100° FOV I couldn’t take in the whole image however hard I tried too, but it certainly made me realise the scale of it! It felt wayyy bigger than the other night. The hazy glow around the stars was larger and more common as well, again I’m guessing this is nebulosity?

I turned to andromeda afterward and this time it actually felt like I was looking at a galaxy! I could see further out than just the core/inner galaxy, and I could gather an oval shape. I think, though I’m too inexperienced to be certain, I may have just about noticed a dust lane. I’m in bortle 4/5 skies so if anyone could tell me if that’s even possible then that would be great. Highlight of the night though has to be seeing M31, M32 and M110 in the same FOV for the first time ever!

Shortly after my secondary mirror was covered with dew, because stupid me made a rookie error and forgot to put the dew shield on!! The night was cut short but great overall and looking forward to the next one!

• Like 6

Great report !

You may well have seen indications of one of M31's dust lanes. I do on a good night here (Bortle 5, mostly here) with my 12 inch dob. The hyperwide 20mm/ 21mm eyepieces are superb for this because you get the image scale and darker background sky AND large true field :grin:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John said:

Great report !

You may well have seen indications of one of M31's dust lanes. I do on a good night here (Bortle 5, mostly here) with my 12 inch dob. The hyperwide 20mm/ 21mm eyepieces are superb for this because you get the image scale and darker background sky AND large true field :grin:

Thanks! I checked the location of the dust lane I thought I saw and it matched with the sky safari app, so I’m quite confident now. Makes me want some higher power EPs with large FOV now though! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BS269 said:

. Makes me want some higher power EPs with large FOV now though! 

That is a slippery slope :grin:

This is my 12 inch dob eyepiece case:

epcase20620.JPG.914d1fa14a22865df7c9f9a57061117f.JPG

The APM 100's are really good as well though. The range of focal lengths available is very useful too :thumbright:

Edited by John
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, John said:

That is a slippery slope :grin:

This is my 12 inch dob eyepiece case:

epcase20620.JPG.914d1fa14a22865df7c9f9a57061117f.JPG

The APM 100's are really good as well though. The range of focal lengths available is very useful too :thumbright:

Ooof that is a lovely collection. Sadly way out of my price range though 😂 I was close to going for the ES 100° 20mm but read about the APM being the best bang for buck out there so changed my mind. I’m not sure about their other ranges though so may consider ES 82° if they’re cheaper.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BS269 said:

Ooof that is a lovely collection. Sadly way out of my price range though 😂 I was close to going for the ES 100° 20mm but read about the APM being the best bang for buck out there so changed my mind. I’m not sure about their other ranges though so may consider ES 82° if they’re cheaper.

I had the ES 100 / 20 before I had the Ethos 21. The APM / Lunt 100's were not launched then otherwise I may well have decided on one of those at 20mm.

I got an excellent used deal on the Ethos 21 though so could not resist :rolleyes2:

58 minutes ago, John said:

I had the ES 100 / 20 before I had the Ethos 21. The APM / Lunt 100's were not launched then otherwise I may well have decided on one of those at 20mm.

I got an excellent used deal on the Ethos 21 though so could not resist :rolleyes2:

Can’t argue with a good deal! Just saving up for an astronomik 2” Oiii filter to aid in my deep space hunting which I’m very excited for! Think it may be a while before I purchase another EP.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BS269 said:

Can’t argue with a good deal! Just saving up for an astronomik 2” Oiii filter to aid in my deep space hunting which I’m very excited for! Think it may be a while before I purchase another EP.

The Astronomik Oiii is very good :smiley:

• Like 1