Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

"I can do science me."

wimvb

About a week ago received a notification of a paper about "low surface brightness dwarf galaxies around nearby spirals". Since that notification got stuck in the spam filter, I didn't read it until now. And, of course I just had to compare to some of my images.

https://www.academia.edu/27234546/New_Low_Surface_Brightness_Dwarf_Galaxies_Detected_Around_Nearby_Spirals?email_work_card=title

around ngc 2683, I have its dwarf also in my image (marked ngc2683 dw1):

https://www.astrobin.com/jd2hjn/C/?nc=user

Around ngc 891, I found a dwarf just near the very edge of my image (indicated by the red markers).

ngc891_344wsc_L_inv_rgb.thumb.jpg.d8c34d3e1889b4cedbbdc0efef85c928.jpg

It's nice to be on the forefront of scientific development. 😉

I don't know how Academia.edu selects its papers for notification, because the reference is five years old. But I guess in astronomical terms, that's less than a sneeze. Ah well, not so forefront maybe.

Of course, now I wonder what other major scientific breakthroughs are hidden in the depths of my hard drive.

The moral of the story is, that even with modest equipment (is my equipment modest? I think it is; a SkyWatcher mount and telescope and a ZWO cmos camera are not exactly top notch super advanced scientific pieces of equipment.), it is possible to confirm relatively recent astronomical discoveries. And you don't need to haul your gear up a Chilean mountain top to capture scientific grade data. An 80% of the time fogged over Swedish lowland will do just fine. Of course, you may miss a conjunction or two or an occasional solar eclipse due to clouds. And you won't see that comet due to the absence of darkness during the summer months. But those are just transients. The important stuff is and will always be lurking behind the clouds.

• Like 8