Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Do you think this setup would work good for Nebulae in SHO?

So Im planning to get more advanced in astrophotography, and therefore switching from some quite beginner freindly equipment to some more technical. What I had in mind was "just" to shoot some narrowband nebulae and maybe a few galaxies.

My setup I had mind is following:

WO gt71 triplet

ZWO ASI183mm pro

HEQ5 rowan belt mod

Orion 60mm guide scope

ZWO ASI120mm guide camera

(Maybe a filterwheel, otherwise I'll just use a filter drawer)

Do you skilled astrophotographers think Im on the right track- if not, I would like some help. 

This setup will work ok for larger nebulae, but not for galaxies. The Andromeda galaxy doesn’t fit the field of view, and most other galaxies will seem very small. Imo, you will outgrow this combination in a very short time.

Use a field of view calculator to test the view on several targets.

https://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/

I would also use a filter wheel rather than a filter drawer, because you won’t need to handle your filters during a session. Less chance of misshaps.

Edited by wimvb

Just as a point of reference, this is the FOV with  GT71, 183 sensor and a 0.8 reducer.  I haven't yet out grown mine, depends what your tastes are, I like widefield and the GT71 is a great scope 

Rob

M31-1.jpg

FB_IMG_1591206912634.jpg

20201107_115711.jpg