NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLR planetary imaging and barlow problems

si717

so ive just begun planetry imaging or trying to say the least
i was wondering if anyone had any experience with where i maybe going wrong

i can image the moon no  problems but when it comes to jupiter mars saturn etc
iam basically getting just a washed out image ,i have tried focusing on the moon,before going over to a planet to image for focus
but that dont seem to help with my final images ,im trying with a Dslr and eos movie record that i can acheive the 5x magnification fine
put a barlow in an i just cant seem to locate the target again
sorry to go on but if anyone could give me a few pointers as to where i maybe going wrong that woulld be great

ive seen it done with a dslr on youtube with great results im finding it a little frustrating ,just learn about DSO imaging and planetary is a whole new feild

so any dslr imagers with camera settings i maybe doing wrong getting the image n the chip with a barlow am i out of focus the list goes on haha 😂👍 many thanks

image attacthed of my results what am i missing

2.jpg

What sort of mount is it? Goto or manual? Equatorial or Alt-Az?

Once you take the DSLR out and put a barlow on, you could easily have knocked the telescope off target.

You will also be zooming in further so you will be looking at a smaller FOV.

Plus the planets are moving too.

It can be tricky to find them, they are small and you are probably looking through a small live view screen.

16 hours ago, Jm1973 said:

What sort of mount is it? Goto or manual? Equatorial or Alt-Az?

Once you take the DSLR out and put a barlow on, you could easily have knocked the telescope off target.

You will also be zooming in further so you will be looking at a smaller FOV.

Plus the planets are moving too.

It can be tricky to find them, they are small and you are probably looking through a small live view screen.

thanks for that reply im using an EQ5 pro eq goto mount  and im hooked up to laptop so veiw on screen

my thinking is i need better alignment of my finder scope with barlow in hopefully i can sort that next time out

weather depending cheers

2 minutes ago, si717 said:

thanks for that reply im using an EQ5 pro eq goto mount  and im hooked up to laptop so veiw on screen

my thinking is i need better alignment of my finder scope with barlow in hopefully i can sort that next time out

weather depending cheers

Do you plate solve? If so you can just put in your barlow, attempt to slew to your target, take a picture with your main imaging camera (DSLR) and platesolve on that.

1 minute ago, Jm1973 said:

Do you plate solve? If so you can just put in your barlow, attempt to slew to your target, take a picture with your main imaging camera (DSLR) and platesolve on that.

i use apt to plate solve ,and it dont plate solve planets i dont think unless i make a custom object havent tried

this is just a new scope im trying to do planets with and apt isnt the best fr those i dont believe

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, si717 said:

i use apt to plate solve ,and it dont plate solve planets i dont think unless i make a custom object havent tried

this is just a new scope im trying to do planets with and apt isnt the best fr those i dont believe

I use Astro-tortilla to platesolve, which is free and simple to use. I used it to slew to Mars a few weeks back with no issues.

I'm pretty sure anyway... perhaps someone can confirm.

Edited by Jm1973
  • Like 1