NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

UV/IR cut filter for Nikon sensor

jm_rim

Hi, 

My apologies for asking the same question as many already have. I have done an extensive search on this forum (and others) about DIY modifying a Nikon DSLR. One thing that I can't find the answer to is whether it is possible to use a Baader BCF 1 in a Nikon D5300? I read that some buy a 50x50mm Astronomik L-2 UV+IR Blocking Filter and then cut it themselves. But, the BCF 1 is half the price of the L-2 filter - and no risk of breaking the filter when cutting it. 

Does anybody know if the Baader BCF 1 can be used in a Nikon D5300 or do I have to get an L-2 and cut it my self?

Any  advice is appreciated.

If you are talking about fitting glass to the holder in front of the chip then as far as I can remember, and it's going back a while, the sizes of of cover glass are not only different between makers but also between some different models by the same maker. Another very slight difference is the thickness of glass. I used to have the sizes on a laptop somewhere but alas, no longer ! Most Nikon mods that are done these days appear to be cut to size clear glass so cutting your own Baader glass may be a good option if you can cut it ok. From what I remember the difference in thickness didn't cause too many focus issues and the Nikon ones were normally thicker. ( Of course now I've said that you'll now find they're thinner !! )

At the back of my mind somewhere I seem to remember Ted at Hutech either doing cover glass or at least talking about them.

Perhaps try asking the same question on Cloudy Nights as Nikon cameras are way more popular over there and someone may know.

Dave 

Edited by davew