NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Weather

10 hours ago, groberts said:

I swear the forecasters don't have windows, it's not unusual that the weather outside is completetly different to what's being forecast at that time.  Notwithstanding, it is a difficult science and even the best of forecasts rarely get it right more than 48- hours ahead, unless there's a very definitive & strong system rolling in.

Certainly since changing their weather forecast contract at the BBC I've given up on them, they're very poor.  I find the Met Office a good starting point, together with + Foreast.co.uk https://www.forecast.co.uk/cloud/ for cloud and surpringly the Nowegian Meterological Institute  https://www.yr.no/en/forecast/daily-table/2-2639545/United Kingdom/England/Surrey/Redhill - although I just noriced they've changed their display format which inevitbaly is not as good as before!  Sorry to our sponsors but don't find Clear Outside very good.

Even with all this the sky can be very fickle and there's no substitute to looking out the window, in all directions - it's often good looking south + a big cloud rolling in from the north + look at wind direction and  speed to se what might be coming.

Since I started astronomy 6-years ago it's  my strong imporession that there's now more clould, often lasting for weeks or even months + if it is clear it's at full moon! 

Good luck.   

+1 for yr.no From the link above, click a day and then expand the table. Shows cloud cover hourly, although most days are showing 100, so not looking great.

• Like 1