NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Unexpected new 8" Dob - extras needed?

Ok, so, thanks to FLO's Black Friday event I suddenly seem to find myself unexpectedly expecting the arrival of a Skywatcher Skyliner 200P.  It was always a scope I intended to pick up at some point (doesn't everyone have have one in their scope history?) but hadn't been planning an immediate purchase.  But given the current availability issues when a customer return popped up on offer I quickly hit the BUY button.

Normally I'd have researched and worked out any accessories and new eyepieces required, but now need to do that in a bit of a rush.  I've got various bits and pieces from a previous tabletop 114 Dob and Mak 127 so have 25, 10, 6mm eyepieces (and a 4mm I never got along with) along with a 2x barlow. Should I be looking at a 32mm or 40mm for potential DSO viewing (although light pollution isn't great so I have low expectations for this).  Collimation will be a new skill for me - are Bob's Knobs an essential purchase?  A cheshire? Is there any benefit in picking up a 2" eyepiece of some size - would it be easier for my 7 year old to view through?  And what else do I not even know that I need???  

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

For lowest power at a reasonable intersection of price, weight, and performance at f/6, I'd recommend the 35mm Aero ED SWA.  It's 44.4mm field stop diameter will just about max out your largest possible true field.  The inner 75% is quite usable while the outer 25% isn't too bad given the price, size, and weight.

Otherwise, I'd say you're in a good position to get started with your existing eyepieces and Barlow in the new scope.

• Thanks 1