Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How did “mini moon” 2020CD3 slip off the SGL radar? Rest easy - New Scientist ‘glitched’

Drifter

Trawling the Internet this morning, I was quite shocked to learn in an article in New Scientist .... that a “mini moon” had passed close to our Moon earlier in the year @February. They called this object 2020CD3.

I checked the article again and saw it was dated 23rd November, 2020 ..... so not an April 1st prank. 
How did I miss this event? A ‘mini moon’!? ... I eagerly tapped into SGL the term ‘mini moon 2020CD3’ .... Nothing!

.... How did the whole membership of SGL miss a ‘mini moon’ passing close to our own moon in Feb?

With the drama of this discovery dropping off both ‘radars’  .... I began to speculate wildly! ( in a calm, reasoned way-naturally😉) - Could this be an exciting explanation for a series of ‘huge aligned round bumps’ on the moon’s surface that created the conditions for the Mare Imbrium/Serenitatis and Crisium to form? - a very very low velocity gentle ‘bouncing stone’ collision with a very large celestial body? - a mini moon possibly? .... subsequently flung into a wider orbit - and now back to make a fleeting visit?

image.png.5546499672190b73f2b8e01cd3cc99be.png

Then I looked at the New Scientist article again:  https://www.newscientist.com/article/2260487-earth-had-a-minimoon-for-nearly-three-years-before-it-drifted-away/

.... what they describe as a ‘mini moon’ is a rock 1.2 metres in diameter that was initially mistaken for space debris!🙄 🤯

How could anyone in their right minds describe that as a ‘mini moon’?!   Surely a job for a Trade Description’s Prosecution? New Scientist ... what were you thinking?🤪

Maybe the Moon hit the Earth v.gently instead? .... an interesting idea I can roll with.