NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Nexstar 60 SLT

Bri, I've never really used the scope, it seems ok for my one look through it. I only used the mount, the scope came free.... I did lend the OTA to someone and the feedback was that the view was pretty good for what it is.

A 60mm aperture scope is rather on the small side. It may have GOTO capability but many of the objects in the database will not be visible. GOTO adds a lot to the price of a scope, but does nothing for the optics.

Something like a 130mm reflector or 90mm refractor as the smallest size to start with. A bigger aperture scope would be something you would grow into rather than rapidly out of.

Here are two suggestions of about the same price as the Celestron

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ev90eq32

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=SW130PSupaTrakAUTO

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up winning an auction on ebay for £56, had to travel to collect it (didn't trust courier network), ended up chatting to the seller for 3hrs, he's big into astrophotography, computerised imaging obsy, i saw some amazing orion nebula images he'd taken, main scope was an 8" LX200 with a messier as a guidescope...

I was gobsmacked...

He gave me a spare dovetail so I can attach a camera or a larger scope too :(

Good one, that's about what I paid for the NexStar 60 SLT and I only wanted the mount. I've mounted a Celestron C80ED to it and it handled it perfectly well for visual and webcam. It worked ok for shorted (<30s) exposure dSLR imaging. The Vista (ST80) was good for up to 2 minutes, but it's shorter and lighter.

Archived