Nice Vixen achromat heads up

Not sure if this is the right place for this, if not Mods please move to appropriate location, thanks🙂..

There's a nice sounding scope on fleabay (nothing to do with me!):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Celestron-Vixen-SP-C102-Acromatic-Refractor-with-Glass-Solar-Filter-/174529026399?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

I've noticed it's been advertised a number of times over the past few weeks, and hasn't sold so far: it's just been relisted again.

I was interested as this looks to be an early Vixen SP102 F10 achromat, branded Celestron, and made in Japan.

Although this one is finished in black paint, not the white of the original SP102m Vixen, when you look closely it's just like the Vixen branded scope in every detail. This one also comes with a solar filter as well.

Back in the day (1980s), the Vixen SP102m was a really aspirational refractor for many of us, me included. In those days, Orion Optics in Crewe were the UK main dealer for Vixen: they used Vixen SP and GP mounts for their own Orion built reflectors, and they also carried quite a range of Vixen refractors and accessories. Their catalogue was a delight for me to spend wishful hours browsing through! Back then, an SP102m OTA on a GP mount was getting on for £800..a lot of money at the time.

Also back then, Celestron, who were USA owned at that time, and who built their SCTs in the USA, wanted to keep their global market leadership and so they commissioned Vixen to manufacture high quality achromats (Apo's  were truly exotic scopes back then!), branded Celestron, to meet that significant and growing market. In those days a 4" refractor was seen as a "proper, serious scope" - largely because Sir Patrick Moore, bless him, enjoyed huge influence, and often said that "useful observations" could be made with a 4" refractor or 6" reflector.

Anyway, this scope looks to be in good condition (although I've of course not seen it in the flesh), and not unreasonably priced if it's a good one. It should show lovely good quality views with very modest chromatic aberration at F10.

It appears that offers may be considered. It's in Leicester, but may have to wait for lockdown to be picked up? 

Good luck if any of you decide to go for it👍

Dave

• Like 3