Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first Mars

So , tonight I got to use my new motor drives on the CG4 mount with my little Omni XLT 127 .. my target was Mars . I’ve never had any real success in viewing the planet let alone imaging it . I used a QHY colour camera , but I noticed that the image came out without colour , not great for a planet with so much colour . Anyway I edited the photo and the colour was there , just had to bring it out a little . For me this was a mini triumph .. just wanted to share it with you . E8743769-239D-44C4-9328-4F6D520422C8.jpeg.a9d32b73d5b53fdf48f85a56ae4704cd.jpeg

• Like 5

Hi Stu,

By coincidence I also took my first image of Mars tonight using my new ZWO1224 colour camera. Conditions were not ideal, it was a bit breezy causing the image to jump about quite a bit. I went ahead anyway so I could get some hands on practice in. Hopefully next time with better weather and more practice I will get a nice sharp image such as I have seen from other members with the exact same gear as mine. This is how it turned out after stacking and rushing it through PhotoShop. With more processing time I’m sure I can improve it, for a start it’s too dark!

1AA4D577-5EC1-482D-89AE-7BA7D22FFC4D.jpeg

Edited by Moonshed
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

This is a great time to be into astronomy, don’t you think ? 

I couldn’t agree more! When I started back in 1960 I had a 4” reflector on a silly little table top tripod. My first astrophotography in 1991 was using my current Celestron 8” with a film camera, no digital cameras in those days, and no such thing as a GOTO mount. It had a wooden tripod.

I now have a GOTO mount, PoleMaster, electric focusing, Canon EOS camera and of course my new ZWO camera. All the technology today makes astronomy and astrophotography so much easier. 
Yes, this really is a great time to be in astronomy, especially with Mars so incredibly well placed at the moment. 

Edited by Moonshed
  • Like 1