DSLR Filter Advice

Budgie1

I've just bought an astro modded Canon EOS 1300D from Juan at Cheap Astrophotogrphy (2nd filter removed, not full spectrum). I generally image nebula and galaxies with it connected to a Skywatcher Evostar 100ED with the 0.85 reducer/flattener and it's guided.

I'm looking for advice on the best filter to use with this setup to obtain the best quality images with the camera.

I live in an area with Bortle 2 skies, so a CPL filter is not required but would something like the SkyTech TriBand or Optalong L-eNhance be of benefit in my location? The main issue I'm likely to have is Moon Glow. 

I've still to have first light with the camera, so I want to use it "as is" to start with, but as I'm waiting for clear skies I thought I would start investigating what may improve things in the future. ;)

Thanks for any input.

You should try without a filter first. Your sky will be very dark so you will need to image for longer than those of use in urban areas to get a clean background sky. You'll also pick up far more nebulosity than I ever could from where I am. You could use a duo-band filter like the Lenhance to isolate Ha and Oiii regions but you'd need to expose for even longer again.

• Like 1

I've taken images of the NGC7000 with my unmodded EOS 2000D which I intend to replicate with the modded 1300D to see what difference there is between them. That's just for starters as there's lots of experimentation to do to find the best settings for the different targets.

Interesting about the longer exposures to get the cleaner background, I assume that's for noise reduction on the subs due to less LP?