Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nexus DSC

David J H

I’ve been reading with interest many of the comments here on the Nexus DSC, and been thinking about installing it and some encoders on my recently acquired Meade 12” Lightbridge dobsonian. Has anyone on SGL done this, and could report on their experience? Some of my initial questions include;

• the installation of the encoders looks fairly straightforward, but does the magnetic tape to give the reading to the altitude bearing encoder actually work well in practice?

• The magnetic tape looks to me to be potentially one of the weak points – is that correct, and would the tape be easily replaced if damaged?

• How would you rate the quality of the encoders and the final installation - at US$ 300 for the dedicated Lightbridge kit, I’d hope that this is good quality, well-made and robust kit, but you never really know until you can see it in person.

• If I was planning in using this with an iPhone (with something like Sky Safari), I don’t think I would need the Nexus DSC, but the less expensive Nexus – is that correct?

• Is there a UK distributor, or would I have to order directly from Australia? (And is there anything similar that I should look at?)

Apologies if these questions have obvious answers – this is new for me, and I’m looking to get confidence from others’ experience.