Uranus – moons, or not?

AKB

Totally outside my comfort zone here...

I realize that this is a completely inappropriate telescpe and camera (1.3º FOV, 1.7" per pixel) in terms of planetary imaging, but given that everybody is currently pointing their eyes towards Mars, I noticed that Uranus wasn't far away.

My mission yesterday evening had been some galaxies in the 15-17 magnitude sort of range, but before shutting down I tried this (at 22:47.)

Here's the question: are these nearest (to the blown-out planet) two moons, say Titania and Oberon, or not?

Thanks for any insights, and forgive what must seem like an unwarranted intrusion into the planetary fraternary/sisterhood.

Tony

20201009_2247-Uranus-Hyperstar-460EX-crop-20x2s.jpg.ebc958ec1dbaf31667df067f0bfd3d4e.jpg

20201009_2247-Uranus-Hyperstar-460EX-20x2s.thumb.jpg.706920d331976526fc7f6afc5be8997f.jpg

Edited by AKB

I observed them last night with my 12 inch dobsonian:

Difficult to say without knowing the scale of your image, it's orientation and the relative brightness of the objects imaged whether you have captured Titania and Oberon or not. They are both around magnitude 14 and were approx 30 and 34 arc seconds from Uranus when I observed them. This is from Stellarium at the time that I observed (newtonian view):

stellarium-000.png

Edited by John
  • Thanks 1