Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Counterweights on a budget (NEQ6pro)

fifeskies

I needed some extra counterweight and managed to pick up 2 x 2kg and 4 x 1kg weights for £10 , the dumbell bar type.

Now , these have a large 1 1/4 hole in them  (some are only 1 inch , so check if you buy some) and I came up with a quick easy solution for using them.

Standard electrical wiring box large grommets fit exactly in the hole (not the 20mm grommets), and also the centre hole of the grommet is a push fit onto the standard 18mm NEQ6 bar.

A stack of 3 are the same thickness as the weight.

so:-

place 3 on the bar , and tape them together with some PVC insulation tape, just enough so they are a friction push fit with the weight centre hole, I used about 40cm of tape.

slide the weight onto the stack of grommets, when moving the weight up and down the bar hold the middle so the weight doesn't pop off the grommet spacer.

bookend the new weight with the normal Skywatcher clamping weights so the entire stack doesn't move.

The 2kg weights I found are a good match to the 5kg Skywatcher weights diameter wise.

I can also swap the 2kg and 1 kg weights easily , very handy for smaller rigs where being able to adjust by 1kg rather than a 5kg step size using the standard Skywatcher weights comes in very handy.

Photos show the sequence , I basically got myself 2 x 2kg weights for a £5 , (still have the 4 x 1kg for further use). 

The rubber grommets protect the bar and prevent any problems due to offcentre weights , there is enough "stiction" to prevent the weights spinning around , but can still be moved up and down for balancing.

I my case I actually use the end weight to balance out eyepiece and camera changes leaving the main section in place.

A little rainy day project.

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

Edited by fifeskies