NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newbie solution for cloudy nights

I have decided to get myself some reading material while I wait for the clouds to disappear so I can use my new scope. I have ordered The Backyard Astronomer's Guide and the highly recommended Turn left at Orion. Hopefully these will keep me occupied until the clouds clear.

I have been doing some reading on the forums and would like to get some advice on which additional eye pieces and filters would compliment a Celestron Nexstar C6. I have seen a couple of kits which combine several eye pieces and filters

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=CelestronEPkit http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=revelationepset

and wondered if they are worth the money?

Also which power tank should I go for the 7AH or 17AH?

Thanks in advance for any advice given!

Kenny

Either of those eyepiece kits are great value.

And as for the powertank go for the 17AH as it will last alot longer especially if you are using accesories such as dew bands or running a laptop.

A SCT scope such as your C6 with it's slow focal ratio is quite kind on eyepieces (the faster the scope, the 'harder' the eyepiece has to work to give an undistorted field of view) and either of those eyepiece sets would be a great starter set giving you a range of magnifications.

WRT the powertank, you can use virtually any 12v battery such as those car starter units but as Doc says, the larger the Ah rating, the longer it'll last. Running a lapptop from one however will drain it VERY quickly. You'd need a big leisure battery for that.

Tony..

Archived