Quick roundup

Stardaze

I'll have to rush through this one, but last night was a great night of viewing. It seemed very steady from dusk, where I felt the need to see how Jupiter and Saturn looked briefly before they disappeared beyond next doors. Being so low in the sky, they are normally not so good suffering from atmospherics but were both very steady. I showed my daughter and even the wife.

I started off with some doubles, literally flitting around. I took in most of the obvious ones to me initially, given that it was second light for the XW 5, where previously I struggled with eye placement. Not this time though, everything felt natural. So, in no particular order: Mizar, Alberio, Rasalgethi, Izar, Zeta CrB, Gamma Delphini (new one on me and very pretty) and Struve 2725.I finished on 61 Cygni too. Didn't actually look at Epsilon Lyrae for once, nor Zeta Herc, so maybe that's something for tonight.

I flicked to globs from here. M5 is now too low in the sky and I could see the light pollution on the horizon. I struggled with M10 and M12 as a result too of this so I may try those a little earlier tonight.Ended up spending some time taking in M92 and then of course M13. So familiar to me but I can see that there's only another month with them and they still give a wow each time.

I decided to have a look at M27 and M57. Again, very familiar but the latter really did pop last night under such good conditions. I added the O-III afterwards and decided to settle down with another brew to take in my favourite, The Veil. I must have spent 45 minutes trying to see just that bit more. By this time, Mars was just above next doors. I had a quick look at Andromeda, but then spent the last 45 minutes viewing Mars. There were little glimpses where the atmosphere steadied and I could see perfectly the polar cap and a distinct dark region. I'll have a look up later of what that was exactly when I have the time. But the XW 5 performed wonderfully well. 

I'm really pleased with my little journey into this hobby. If you had have said to me that I could take in all of these targets in less than 3 hours to me last year, I might not have believed you. Really have enjoyed this years late summer evenings when time and conditions allow. I felt relatively organised last night which I have learnt to be so important. I was away by midnight but had woken early the night previous around 3am and noticed Orion in the South at that time, so the winter months are fast approaching and I now feel that this year I should be far more ready than previously - can't wait!

Edited by Stardaze
  • Like 3