Barr & Stroud 10 x 56 Savannah ED Binoculars

johnturley

Was thinking of getting a better quality pair of 10 x 50 binoculars, but then came across the Barr & Stroud 10 x 56 Savannah ED binoculars, which offer an extra 6mm of aperture, but are not much bigger and heavier than most 10 x 50's, and are available from Rother Valley Optics at £177.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/barr-and-stroud-savannah-10-x-56-ed-binocular.html

Does anyone own or had any experience of these binoculars, in particular what are they like quality wise, or think another make around the same price will be better, although not many other manufacturers offer 10 x 56. 

John  

Edited by johnturley

I don't know them, but if your eyes are quite close set, do check the actual minimum IPD - which is limited by the aperture. If the eyepieces are on axis with the objectives, which  is the case with most roof prisms, the minimum IPD cannot be less than the outer diameter of the objective tubes.

20 minutes ago, BinocularSky said:

I don't know them, but if your eyes are quite close set, do check the actual minimum IPD - which is limited by the aperture. If the eyepieces are on axis with the objectives, which  is the case with most roof prisms, the minimum IPD cannot be less than the outer diameter of the objective tubes.

Thanks for your reply

If I decide to get a pair, and get them from Rother Valley Optics which is quite local to me, then hopefully I will be able to give them a try before purchase, although I would have to wait until the Covid 19 situation improves, as I understand that their showroom is still closed, and they probably would want to have to disinfect them after I gave them a try, but decided not to purchase.

John 

Edited by johnturley