NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cable advice needed please.

Hi I currently have an eq6-r  pro mount and a explore scientific 127 triplet telescope. An asi120mm guide camera and canon 600d camera. The cables I have to run my setup are quite short and I'm looking to either buy a cheap usb hub or some longer cables. I have an observatory but I am after some suggestions on what longer cables would be suitable/reliable and what usb hubs people recommend? Also I have seen some people running their setups from in the house and I wonder how people would suggest doing this cheapest possible way. I cant afford at present to buy gadgets like the wifi all in one boxes people have attached so its cheapest route please. TIA

The cheapest route to go from house to set up would be difficult to judge. Cable/wifi reliability depend a lot on distance except possibly if you use ethernet cabling. 

Depending on what you have to plug in to USB ports you will need either a powered hub to computer (as long as it's not too far) or to a Raspberry Pi4 running Astroberry which you can connect direct with ethernet cable to your computer (or home network) probably up to 100m away.

Best to mount hub/ Raspberry to the dovetail or somewhere that moves with the mount. It will reduce cable drag which means better guiding. You might even want to get shorter cables to tidy things up a bit.

• Thanks 1