Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star halos after creating star mask in PS

Hi guys, I hope that you might be able to help. I have recently got to grips (or so I think) with creating star masks in PS with the intention of stretching my DSO independent of the stars. Although I have been partly successful in this task, I have been unable to devise a means of minimising halos around the stars when doing this. I am using the technique described here 

I have uploaded on of my processed images (North America Nebula) which I hope will provide a visual representation of my issue 

many thanks for your help

E49CC5C4-AA84-4A1A-B4E1-4B88700C3FB6.jpeg

I've found that the easiest way to "process out" star haloes is to make a starless version of your finished (and presumably stretched) stack using Starnet, and then layer over an unstretched version in "Blend Lighten" mode. You may need to play around with just how much you stretch out the image before star removal, as sometimes the larger haloes can get left behind, but once the stars are out of the way you can really go for it on processing nebulae if you want.

However, I've also found that I quite like a little bit of halation - it makes an image look more natural.  I think your image above looks great and the star haloes enhance the view, rather than detract from it.  Each to their own, though...

Edited by Hallingskies
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Hallingskies said:

I've found that the easiest way to "process out" star haloes is to make a starless version of your finished (and presumably stretched) stack using Starnet, and then layer over an unstretched version in "Blend Lighten" mode. You may need to play around with just how much you stretch out the image before star removal, as sometimes the larger haloes can get left behind, but once the stars are out of the way you can really go for it on processing nebulae if you want.

However, I've also found that I quite like a little bit of halation - it makes an image look more natural.  I think your image above looks great and the star haloes enhance the view, rather than detract from it.  Each to their own, though...

Thanks for this, will give it a shot! Appreciate the feedback