NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Propeller Nebula, at last

Rodd

History would be a much cleaner subject if all "mistakes" yielded results like I was fortuate to obtain (my "false propeller" image).  I finally managed to collect some data on the propeller nebula--not much, only about 3 hours in each of Ha and OIII.  But its a decent start as seeing was good.  I seem to be battling poor transmisivity lately though--and full on cloud cover.  I was able to sneak a couple hours each night before the stars dissapeared.

lately I have grown to appreciate splitting narrowband data into bicolor Ha-OIII and HaSHO images.  This is the start of a bicolor--need much more data.  Full resolution is still a bit rough.  Supposed to be cloudy now for a couple of weeks--then teh Moon.  I know narrowband is supposed to be impervious o the Moon--but I find data sets are much stronger when the Moon is not bright.

Blend2.thumb.jpg.84d68d342966cb63a009b5bde800fb51.jpg

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 9

A good start indeed. I must admit it is quite some time since I imaged this area and recall that I was never happy with what I had done.  Perhaps now (some years later) I could do better - but I will be looking to your final image to spur me on......fingers crossed that perhaps the forecasted cloud cover will not hold true.

1 minute ago, Kinch said:

A good start indeed. I must admit it is quite some time since I imaged this area and recall that I was never happy with what I had done.  Perhaps now (some years later) I could do better - but I will be looking to your final image to spur me on......fingers crossed that perhaps the forecasted cloud cover will not hold true.

Thanks Brendan.  The weather has been remarkably unpredicatable.  Nights that are forecasted to rain end up clear, and nights forecasted to be perfect end up miserable.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason.  

• Like 1

I added a bit over 4 hours of OIII.  It cleaned it up a bit.  Will add another 4- hours of Ha and then an equal amount of SII.  I think teh added OIII gives teh image a more relaxd feel--drops it back a bit from teh edge.  Also it changed teh palette a bit, but that was also as a result of intentions

C.thumb.jpg.d4e2676bf0ac6e8fc34547145adb387f.jpg

• Like 2

I think I may have gone a bit to hard at the lst one.  The darned line is so hard to see sometime.  It depends on teh screen I use.  This is a bit less aggressive.  The above version looks god here--but on some screens it is just to blue, hard and sharp.  Opinions welcomed

264096968_Blend3andC3.thumb.jpg.b1c011a4cb50b8905657ff35b5800fa6.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kinch said:

The difference is miniscule and nobody but you would notice if we were not asked to compare. Yes, the 2nd here is ever so slightly better.......

Really--wow.  I need a vacation.  On my work monitor I like the first--but on my screens at home it is glaring and over processed--way to saturated and purple.  But on this computer its none of those things--in fact the last is wan and limping.  The screen thing is getting a bit much.

Screens have always been a problem for me - I could never get things right on each/all screens I might happen to use. Now - I seem to have got over that problem.

You might find a screen grab interesting....because you can see how both images COMPARE on my screen...(sorry I can't fit the full images in).

Capture.JPG