PHD2 settings

Jezphil

Newbie question... I am setting up PHD2 to connect to a Starlight Express Lodestar X2 for auto guiding (has Synscan). I am using a Mac so won't have ASCOM. I'm linking Lodestar X2 to mount with ST4 cable and Lodestar to laptop with a USB cable. PHD2 is asking me to 'select your mount interface'. The menu options are EQMAC, Equinox 6, GC USB ST4, GPUSB, INDI Mount, none, On AO and ON camera. Do I pick 'GC USB ST4'? ... Guide Camera, USB, ST4 cable?

If I click 'GC USB ST4' or  'on camera', I get a note saying 'Since your primary mount connection does not report pointing position, you may want to choose an 'Aux Mount' connection. The 'Aux Mount' drop down menu then offers 'None' 'INDI mount' and 'ask for coordinates'. This is baffling.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited by Jezphil

Not sure I can help with your set up but many here would use KStars/Ekos on a Mac.

What mount are you using?

A better set up would be to connect mount, main camera, filter wheel and Lodestar to a USB hub then to your Mac and control everything with Ekos. You can either use the Ekos internal guiding or PHD2 through Ekos.

Thanks for this. I'm using a Skywatcher HEQ5 mount.

Ideally I'd polar align using the mount, start align with SynScan and continue using SkySafari6 pro. 

Edited by Jezphil

When using ST4 select "on camera". It is also useful, but optional, when using ST4 to also select as Aux Mount "Ask for coordinates". If selected then every time you start guiding you are prmpted for your declination. This lets you reuse your calibration. Otherwise you need to calibrate every time you start guiding, or at least when you change declination.

The declination does not need to be entered precisely, within a few degrees is sufficient. It allows PHD2 to adjust its RA guiding to suit the declination.

https://openphdguiding.org/manual/?section=Tools.htm#Ask_for_coordinates_aux_mount

• Like 1

Kens. Many thanks for this useful information. I’d wondered about this and didn’t know the answer. Much appreciated . I used the Guidescope for the first time on Friday. It took me a long time to set and focus. I got it functioning, although the graph was pretty crazy in places. It was windy and the telescope was almost vertical which might not have helped. Got a couple of hours of 5min exposures with Ha and Oiii. I put the Sii filter in for a third set but the telescope nudged against the mount as it tracked so I abandoned at 4.30am, as I didn’t want to reset and needed some zzzz. Ran off some darks and flats. Happy enough with my beginner level shots and will return for the Sii. I think this is all about pushing though the inevitable bumps and idiotic mistakes (in my case) and celebrating the things that do go according to plan. Cheers.