NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn - help identifying feature

procky1845

Hi,

Observation of Saturn on Friday (7th Aug) attached.

Are there any seasoned Saturn observers who can help me identify the shaded feature just above the rings at the front? I noted in my logbook that this was the shadow of the rings on the globe, but in hindsight that would probably have been much darker I suspect (similar to the shadow of globe on the rings top right). So maybe that is either the C ring or the SEB? I had noted that I couldn't see the C ring (which is why its shaded out with X's) but maybe it was visible just in front of the globe?

Thanks again,

Lee

saturn_200807.jpg.def7395ae1b75422cde30213b37a32fa.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Lee,

Saturn's rings cast a shadow on the globe as they cross it, but also there is a fine equatorial band that can sometimes be seen. You may also have seen the Crepe ring at that point, but I always find it easier just inside the ansae on either side of the planet. It often has a Smokey appearance and can be overlooked even though its usually in plain sight. Once seen you'll wonder how you could have missed it! ☺ Perhaps you could drop the magnification slightly to between 180X and 200X just to sharpen the image a little and improve contrast & definition. It may help even though the image scale reduces. 

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Thanks 1