NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Focal Reducer Compatibility

Hi

I have a Meade 5000, 127mm refractor and just purchased a Scientific Explorer 0.7 focal reducer ""developed for the ED127 and 152 mm APO refractors.   I also purchase an additional 3" to 2" adapter to fit the focal reducer directly into the main focuser. The other end connects directly to my canon 750d.

My issue is not being able to achieve focus and I believe I'm about 10 or 15mm too far away from the main objective lens!. Has anyone had this issue and can it be overcome i.e. an additional adapter to extend the distance between the camera and first piece of glass?

Edited by bonellot
more info

I’ve had this also.   It was also with an es reducer that had a very thin eos adapter. As I remember swapped it for a thicker eos ring or just added an extender on the telescope side.   There is of course some difference in distance of dedicated camera vs dslr.   

The reducer will have a specified 'chip distance,' the required distance between the reducer and the chip. You need to know what this is and then add or remove hardware to get your chip to that distance. The reducer manufacturer will surely have published this somewhere.

Olly