NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eyepiece Upgrade Recommendation

Hello All,

I recently got my first setup, I bought it second had from a kind gentleman who was upgrading. Everything was very well taken care of and I have had fun using it so far. I have made a list of what I have below. What I need some advice on is upgrading the Eyepieces and Barlows. The eyepieces I have are the ones that were shipped with the respective telescopes. The 10mm's exit pupil is very small and would like something more comfortable to look through at this focal length.

From researching here I see that the BST are recommended, especially for f9 and above scopes. But would these not work well with the skywatcher. I would like to get something that would work in both. With Barlows, I see that the price can get quite expensive but where would the sweet spot be for me for telescopes like these. Should I just save up and get something like a Hyperion Zoom? One and done kind of idea. This is where I am confused. I don't want to waste money on an expensive eyepiece if the bottle neck is the scope. I hope that is making sense.

What I am interested in using the telescopes for, is honestly a bit of everything, observing and astrophotography. I would like to be able to get more detail out of the planets, with a nice comfortable eyerelief and field of view.

Scopes: Bresser Messier AR-102/1000 refractor, Sky-watcher 1145p (f5, 500mm) reflector

Mount: Bresser EXOS-2, with tracking motors installed (no GoTo)

Cameras: Fujifilm X-T3, Nikon D90

Accessories: Solar filter, 10mm, 15mm, 25mm eyepiece, bahtinov mask, adapters for cameras and filters

Thanks for thanks the time to read. Clear skies.

I used to be anti-zoom e/p; (the TeleVue Nagler 3-6mm (or 2-4mm) being the exception); but having borrowed the Baader Hyerion 8-24mm MklV zoom from a member of my local astro. soc./club for one hour at the end of February this year [2020], I was very impressed with its build and performance and it is not as heavy as I thought it would be, (the early models, i.e. Mk l & ll were heavy). The Mklll is not to heavy either and occasionally come up for sale second-hand. I was using the MklV in my 're-modded' ETX105 using it with the 1.25" fitting and at the end of the hour... I did not want to give it back. 

• Like 1