NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Your thoughts on my purchase?

Wasn't sure exactly where this should go so moderators if this is the wrong place feel free to remove/move the post. I am wondering of your thoughts on my purchase, decided to finally try starting out astrophotography and heres what I got (see image) I understand the tripod may not be the best, but for the weight of the gear I would be using I am assuming it will not be so bad? :) 

I will be pairing it with a Canon EOS 600d unmodded. Clear skies to you all and may the clouds p**s off :) 

First time.JPG

I have the top one and the bottom one. I soon upgraded my tripod to a skywatcher 1.75" tripod which feels like it could hold up an elephant. The original tripod I had would flex quite badly due to the weight of the scope, camera and tracking mount. If I used it with just the camera and tracking mount it was not so bad.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chefgage said:

I have the top one and the bottom one. I soon upgraded my tripod to a skywatcher 1.75" tripod which feels like it could hold up an elephant. The original tripod I had would flex quite badly due to the weight of the scope, camera and tracking mount. If I used it with just the camera and tracking mount it was not so bad.

Thank you for your response. Can I ask which camera you are using along with this setup? Also was this the same tripod you had before you upgraded? and you are welcome to attach some pictures you have captured with the setup :) Thanks.

Edited by Brunty12345

The camera I use is a canon 200d. This also needs a extension tube between the scope and camera to be able to get the camera to focus. I use an OVL field Flattener to achieve this extension.  The tripod was not the same as the one you posted but very similar. I found that when I loaded the tripod up with the star adventurer, the scope, the camera and flattener, the red dot finder on my camera and the finder scope on the telescope the tripod then became very unstable and wobbly.

I might add that I still use the original tripod if I am just imaging with the camera and say a 200mm lens. It works fine for this. I usually then keep the tripod legs short and hang a weight under the tripod.

Edited by Chefgage