Sealant for SkyShed Pod

chouet

Hi all

Anyone know of a sealant, easily available in the UK I can use to reseal my SkyShed Pod to a wooden deck?  

The Pod is made out of high density polyethylene, and it's currently sealed with Lexel and the Pod makers in Canada suggest Durabond Lexel, Boatlife Life-seal or Mono Ultra silicone sealant. I've found boat life in the UK but it is expensive with longish lead times.

Thanks!

Nick

You’ll want a polyurethane sealant they do black or white can be over painted once cured far better than silicone , wear gloves as it’s a pig to clean off hands we use it in the marine industry very strong and waterproof can be sanded once cured too unlike silicone .

something like this https://www.toolstation.com/puraflex-40-high-modulus-pu-sealant-adhesive-300ml/p67949?store=I6&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyoHWqcH36gIVze3tCh1IpwOJEAQYASABEgLKWfD_BwE

Edited by bottletopburly
  • Like 1

Hi Chouet!

A lot of us who have PODs on decks do not seal around the base. That's because there is enough drainage with the deck boards that water incursion is not a factor.

After  soaking rain I may have a "fringe" of "wetness" around internal perimeter, but it is gone by mid morning with the warming/drying Sun.

It would be there if I had sealant or not. That's' because the top of the wood acts  a little like a sponge, and the wetness on the wood spreads a little. 

After 14 years of my POD being on the same decking, nothing is damaged inside and the wood deck is fine.

So seal or don't seal,  it won't make much of a difference.

On the other hand, sealing on a conrete base is important because there are no gaps as with a decking for the water to drain away. In fact, we instruct that of you are pouring a concrete base that you pour a "pitcher's mound", chanfer the concrete , so that water drains away from the wall.  And seal around the wall with concrete or roofing sealants. Not "windows and doors" caulking. 

I hope this helps!

CS!
Wayne

Owner/Designer

SkyShed

• Like 2